1-877-845-3678 | M-F, 9am-5pm PSTVisa, Mastercard, Discover and AMEX acceptedLog In | Sign Up | Cart


Useful definitions and explanations of company and industry terms.

  Aqueous Coating: Folding: Imprinting: Proofread:
  Binding: 4-Panel Roll Fold: Job Number: Punching:
  Bleed: Accordion Fold: Landscape: Register Marks:
  Borders Double Gate Fold: Line Screen: Resolution:
  Brightness: Double Parallel Fold: Margin: RGB:
  C2S paper: French Fold (quarter fold): Matte Finish: Round Cornering:
  Card Stock: Gate Fold: Offset Printing: Saddle Stitching:
  CMYK: Half Fold: Open End Envelope: Scoring:
  Coating: Half-Tri Fold: Out of Register: Silver:
  Color Types: Tri Fold: Overprinting: Sleeve:
  Color Proof / Epson Proof: Z Fold: Overruns: Spiral Binding:
  Consecutive Numbering: Full Bleed: Pantone Matching System: Spot Coating /Spot UV:
  Crop Marks: Gloss Finish: Paper Grain: Spot Color:
  Die Cutting: Gloss Paper: Perforation: Trim:
  Dots Per Inch (dpi): Gray Scale: Pixel: UV:
  Embossing: Head to Head: Presentation Folder: UV Coating:
  Finished Size / Trim Size: Head-to-Toe: Press Proof: Varnish:
  Flat Size:


Proof: Work-Tumble / Work-Turn:


Aqueous Coating:

It is used to protect and enhance the printed piece. Aqueous coating is applied to all 100lb gloss book and 100lb gloss cover.
Back to Top

The finishing department, which performs operations on the printed product after it has been printed. The bindery operations are as follows: Folding, Binding, Stitching, Scoring, Perforation, Die Cutting, & Envelope Converting.
Back to Top

Different methods used to secure loose pages in a book is called binding. Saddle stitch is an example of binding. Brochure Printing
Back to Top

Printed colors that extend past the edge of a page. To cut the job to its actual size the processor has to make sure the job gets printed with 1/8 of an inch bleed some jobs may require more than that. For example if the job is a business card (3.5" x 2") the file size with bleed would be (3.6" x 2.1").
Back to Top


An outline around graphics, text or edge of a sheet.

Back to Top
Refers to the percent of light reflected back from a sheet of paper as measured by a light meter reading. Contrast is reduced and highlights are not as strong when paper with a lower brightness is used for a printed piece. Here at FCG, depending on paper brand the papers have different brightness grades, for example Tango has 91 brightness, Balboa has 90 brightness.
Back to Top

C2S paper:

Paper coated on both sides. Our 14pt and 16pt paper are examples of C2S. (AQ Coating or UV Coating are separate options and are not effected by this)

Back to Top
Card Stock:

Also called cover stock. Mostly heavyweight papers are called cards stock. The thickness of card stock is indicated with point sizes such as 14pt, 16pt. Some people will also refer to 100lb gloss cover as a card stock.
Back to Top


The primary colors used in 4-color printing. CMYK are used to reproduce full color on the printed sheet. CMYK is also called PROCESS COLOR
C: Cyan (Blue) M: Magenta (Red) Y: Yellow  K: Key (Black)
 Cyan (Blue)  Magenta (Red)  Yellow

Back to Top


The mixture of clay materials that are applied to paper to improve the smoothness of the paper's surface and improve ink holdout during the printing process. Examples are Aqueous coating (AQ) and UV coating. UV coating adds a gloss finish to the product and also improves the vibrancy of the printed colors. Spot-UV can be applied to selected portions of the piece, while keeping the rest a matte finish.

Back to Top

Color Types:

4:4 - 2 sided, full color on front and on back
4:1 - 2 sided, full color on front, black on back
4:0 - 1 sided, full color on front

Color Types
Back to Top
Consecutive Numbering:

Numbering a form, or a series of printed material where the number changes sequentially
from one to another. Example, if the first one has number 201, the second will get 202, the third would be 203 and so on. We do not offer that service.
Back to Top
Crop Marks (Guide Marks):

Lines printed in the margin of sheet that indicates to the cutter and bindery where the finished product should be trimmed. They are also used to show what part of a photo should be used and what part should be cropped off.
Back to Top
Die Cutting:

A specific shape like circle, star, etc (any designs that cannot be done by a straight cut) which is cut by a metal blade. Door hangers are a popular product which requires die cutting. We can accommodate shape sizes 13" x 10" and smaller, larger sizes must be sent out to other binderies.
Back to Top
Dots Per Inch (dpi):

A measurement of resolution of input, output and display devices. 300 dpi means that when printed, each square inch of your image will contain 90,000 pixels (dots), the higher the dpi (the more pixels per inch) the more crisp the printed image will be. Our electronic (digital files) have to have a resolution of at least 300 dpi. Anything less than that is considered as low resolution and may appear blurry when printed.
Back to Top

A process of imprinting an image by applying pressure to the back side of a material to change the surface, giving it a three dimensional or raised effect. Embossing can be referred to as raised lettering. We DO NOT offer embossing or raised lettering.
Back to Top
Finished Size / Trim Size:
The size of a printed product after all production operations have been completed.
Back to Top
Flat Size:

The size of a printed product after printing and trimming but before any finishing operations that affect its size, such as folding.
Back to Top

The process of bending printed sheets in a specific area. Folding is one of our popular bindery jobs.
Back to Top
4-Panel Roll Fold:

A type of fold where the piece is folded inward at one end and then folded inward again one or more times. It is as if you are rolling the piece up.
Back to Top
Accordion Fold:

A sheet which has been printed on only one side then folded twice in right angles to form a W-shaped four page uncut section. We are able to fold up to 4 panel(8 page max). Accordion folds are usually 100lb book papers. Such as, brochures and catalogue.
Back to Top
Double Gate Fold:

Single gate fold, with an additional fold on the center.
Back to Top
Double Parallel Fold :

A type of fold where the piece is folded in half and then folded in half again. The folds are parallel to each other. Also known as a quarter fold.
Back to Top
French Fold (quarter fold):
A sheet which has been printed on one side only and then folded twice at right angles to form a four page uncut section.
Back to Top
Gate Fold:

When both sides of an oversize page fold into the gutter in overlapping layers.
Back to Top
Half Fold:

Is fold in half.
Back to Top

Half-Tri Fold:

A sheet is folded in half and then tri-folded.
Back to Top

Tri Fold:

A fold where a three panel piece has both side sections folded inward, one on top of the other each section is approximately 1/3 the length of the piece. Also known as a C-fold or letter-fold.

Back to Top

Z Fold:

A paper fold represented by back and forth folds into three panels.

Back to Top
Full Bleed:

Printing that goes to the edge of all four sides of the page.
Back to Top
Gloss Finish:

A coating on paper that provides a higher reflection of light, which results in a shiny appearance. Gloss coatings reduce ink absorption, which allows excellent contrast and color definition.
Back to Top
Gloss Paper:

Paper with a gloss finish, usually used for higher quality printing. Examples are 100lb gloss book, and 100lb gloss cover.
Back to Top
Gray Scale:

A strip of paper containing gray tones ranging from white to black. So gray scale refers to black and white printed material.
Back to Top

Head to Head:

Printing on the front and back of a sheet is setup so that the top of both sides is printed at the same end of the sheet. You would turn the sheet like the page of a book to read the reverse side.

Back to Top

Printing on the front and back of a sheet so that the tops of each side are printed at opposite ends form each other. The top of one side is opposite the bottom of the other. You would turn the sheet over form top to bottom to read the reverse side. Also referred to as head-to-tail or tumble.
Back to Top

A spot on a printed sheet that appears as a small white circle with ink in the center, caused by particles such as dirt, dust, or bits of paper.
Back to Top

The printing of new copy on a piece that is already printed. Examples of imprinting are ink-jetting addresses on postcards after the actual card has been printed. Please note that we DO NOT imprint or inkjet on any paper with AQ or UV Coating. The only job that can be imprinted after printing is spot UV jobs and any jobs in this category, which are as follows: Spot UV on both sides, UV one side no UV on the other side, Spot UV on one side no UV on the other side. These jobs do not get UV or AQ coating after imprinting.
Back to Top
Job Number:

A unique number assigned to a job by a buyer or manufacturer. The number allows the job to be tracked throughout production. Customers get job numbers automatically when they place an order online. Any orders that come in through mail or by customers drop off at the front desk get "walk-in" job numbers.
Back to Top

Printing a page so that when positioned for reading the width is greater than the height.
Back to Top
Line Screen:

A transparent screen which has been etched with fine lines. It is used to convert a picture or photograph into a halftone dot pattern so that can be printed. Our presses use 200-line screen.
Back to Top


The non-printed areas around the image area of a page.

Back to Top
Matte Finish:

A coated paper finish that is flat, not shiny like a gloss, but still keeps much of the ink from being absorbed by the paper and produces an excellent image. Matte/ Dull finish is applied to all 14pt jobs and 16pt jobs unless it is Spot UV.
Back to Top

Offset Printing:

The transfer of an inked image from a plate to a blanket cylinder, which in turn transfers the image to the printing material as it passes between the blanket and the impression cylinder and pressure is applied. Also referred to as offset lithography. We use offset printing.

Back to Top
Open End Envelope:

An envelope with an opening along its short dimension.
Open Side Envelope:
An envelope with an opening along its longest dimension.
Back to Top

Out of Register:

When an image is not printing in the exact location that it is suppose to. When printing more than one color, if the colors do not line up properly, they are out of register. 

Back to Top

Printing an image over an area that has already been printed. In printing process colors, one process color is printed over another creating a secondary color, which is a combination of two primary colors. Sometimes in the files that customers send us there will be overprinting issues. Such as type or logos not printing. Customers should be aware that we do not check for this and their overprinting situation must be evaluated before sending the files to us.
Back to Top

The quantity of items produced over the quantity that was originally ordered. Also referred to as any paper spoiled in the process of printing. For example if our batch is 1000 quantity batch we always overrun 50-100 sheets.
Back to Top
Pantone Matching System (PMS):

A registered name for an ink color matching system used to compare, match and identify specific colors. To do so we use a pantone book. It contains pantone colors with their closest CMYK values.
Back to Top
Paper Grain:

The direction in which the fibers line up during the manufacturing process. It is easier to fold, bend, or tear the paper along the same direction of the fibers. Cut sheet laser printers generally use long grain paper in which the grain runs parallel to the long side of the paper, resulting in better performance through the laser printer.
Back to Top

Creating a series of holes so that the paper can be torn more easily along the line that is formed. Postage stamps and tear-off cards are common products that require perforation.
Back to Top

The smallest unit of a digitized image created by a digital device, such as a computer, camera, or scanner. Pixel is short for “picture element”. The more pixels per inch the better the resolution. On computer monitors, the display is divided into rows and columns containing thousands or millions of pixels. Each pixel is composed of three dots representing the three color channels of red, green, and blue light that are necessary for creating a color image on computer monitors and television screens. Because of their small size, the pixels appear to merge, simulating a continuous tone image, but when magnified they appear to be tiny square blocks of light, as shown in the illustration.
Back to Top
Presentation Folder:

We offer different kinds of presentation folders, Inner pocket with round cut corner: (1 or 2, left & right pockets are optional) Inner pocket with straight cut corner: (1 or 2, left & right pockets are optional) Business card slit, left or right is also optional.
Back to Top
Press Proof:

A proof that is produced on the press using the inks and paper specified for that order. We do not produce press proof unless we want to check color for a rejected job.
Back to Top

A copy of the artwork representing the finished product. It is used for review and approval. After receiving your file(s), we will review each file. If we find any problems, we'll contact you, otherwise you'll receive a PROOF of your job on the internet to review within 24 hours (1 business day).
Back to Top

Checking a proof for errors or discrepancies Form the original copy. We do not
Back to Top

Drilling of holes through a stack of paper. We use hole punching if a customer wants to have that on any printed piece. Applicable & popular sizes are 1/8" & 5/16". We can provide a different size, other than above mentioned, upon request.
Back to Top
Register Marks:

The printed marks used to align color separations for printing so that each color registers with each other.
Back to Top

The measurement of output quality expressed in pixels (dots) per inch on a computer monitor or dots per inch on printed media. For example, a monitor displaying a resolution of 800 by 600 refers to a screen capable of displaying 800 pixels in each of 600 lines, which translates into a total of 480,000 pixels displayed on the screen. When referring to printed media, a 300 dpi (dots per inch) printer for example, is capable of outputting 300 dots in a one-inch line, which means that it has the ability of printing 90,000 distinct dots per square inch (300 x 300).
Back to Top

The additive primary colors, red, green and blue, used to display color in video monitors. Printing with a file in RGB color mode will produce a washed out appearance. We don't check files for RGB. That responsibility falls to the customer before submission of the files.
Back to Top
Round Cornering:

Using a machine to die cut the corners of forms, cards and books to create a rounded corner.
Back to Top
Saddle Stitching:

The method of binding the pages of a section where the folded pages are stitched through the fold from the outside, using a wire staple (stapling).
Back to Top

A crease applied, in a straight line, to a sheet of paper to allow it to fold easier and more accurately.
Based on our equipment we score any sizes between: 3" x 4" (min) to 11" x 17" (max) on 100lb book, 14pt & 16pt papers. Score in half, is the most popular.
Back to Top

Fifth color, pantone metallic coated 877c. Must be designed in a vector based graphics program. Acceptable file types are EPS, CDR, and PDF.
Back to Top

A paperboard jacket that fits over the four sides (top, bottom, and two parallel sides) of a letter tray in order to keep the mail inside the tray from falling out.
Back to Top
Spiral Binding:

Book binding that consists of a spiral wire or plastic that is wound through holes. Also referred to as coil binding. We do not offer that service.
Back to Top
Spot Coating / Spot UV:
Coating paper only in specific areas as opposed to all over coating. In a Spot UV job the job gets a UV coating in only specific areas and does not get any AQ coating in any other places. Spot UV can be referred to as spot varnish.
Back to Top
Spot Color:

Printing with one or more solid colors, generally black ink is used with the addition of other colors. It is used to add highlight and add color to a printed product without having to print with four-color process.
Back to Top

A preset model that acts as a structure for setting up a similar product. We have lot of templates, for each product. The customers can download the templates online.

See all of our templates now...
Back to Top

1. The process of cutting the product to its finished size. The excess that is cut off is also referred to as the trim.

2. Combining various roll sizes to be slit from a full width roll from the paper machine so that an acceptable percentage of the salable width will be used.
Back to Top

Ultra Violet. The part of the spectrum where the wavelength of light is shorter than the wavelength of visible light.
Back to Top
UV Coating:

A liquid coating applied to the printed piece, which is then bonded and cured with ultraviolet light. This coating is used to provide a protective coating to the printed image. Please note that you CANNOT write or imprint on a uv coated jobs.
Back to Top

A thin, liquid protective coating, either matte or glossy, that is applied to the product. It adds protection and enhances the appearance of the product. It can be applied as an all over coating or it can be applied as a spot coating.
Back to Top
Work and Tumble or Work and Turn:

A printing method where different pages are assembled so that they are on one plate. One side is printed and the sheet is turned Form front to rear so that you are using the opposite edge as the gripper edge and then the second side is printed. The product is then cut apart to make two finished items.
Back to Top

Call us: 818-838-3500 or Toll free 1-877-845-3678 Fax 818-838-3501 Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm PST
Color Brochures | Book Mark Printing | Printing Booklets | Door Hanger Printing | Letterhead Printing
Plastic Card Printing | Postcard Printing | Business Card Printing Services | Poster Printing | Sitemap